This is now my 5th consecutive semester of taking an undergraduate language course. I have learned a lot from the course about the target language, but I have also learned (or relearned) some important things about being a student.
Top 10 things I have learned by being a student (again):
10. how strange it is to get constant emails from companies and organizations that want to sell me term papers, notes, books, or recordings so that I will get high grades without working hard or attending class;
9. how important it is that the course syllabus be followed; or, if changes are made, that these are clearly explained;
8. how much I dislike getting motivational stickers on my homework assignments;
7. how much I like sitting in the same seat in the classroom each day;
6. how difficult it is to have many hours of homework for one class due in a short amount of time;
5. how fun it can be to be part of a small group of nice people working together on something;
4. how stressful it is to take exams, especially impossible ones;
3. what it feels like to not want to be called on in class;
2. how good it feels to be learning something completely new;
1. I am old.
8 months ago