Friday, November 13, 2009

See You on the Other Side

At the beginning of the fall term, I could see clear to the other side of it with no apparent break from proposal/manuscript/abstract/committee deadlines, travel, and other time-consuming professional activities. In a rare week, I would 'only' have my usual research and teaching and advising and meetings and so on.

Now that I am deep into the fall term, time has been expanding and contracting. I veer between thinking "How am I ever going to get all this done in two days?" and "I have two whole days to get this done" and then back to "How am I going to get all this done?". Never mind 2007, this past September seems like a very long time ago.

One day this week, I briefly considered grading papers while walking across campus, but then decided that, although grading while walking is probably safer than driving while texting, grade-walking would greatly increase my chance of being hit by a bicycle.

So far, things are getting done (with lots of help from excellent colleagues), but the biggest deadlines are still ahead, I still have some travel (some at a very inconvenient time), and looming committee work will soon dominate my existence far more than I expected.

As a result, blog posts will be short or long depending on whether I am crazy-busy or procrastinating.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one.. I thought if I made it through October, I could make it to the end of the semester.. November has sucked far more..

Maybe if I just make it to Thanksgiving it will all be ok :)

aroza said...

Good to read that even the best of us are hit by the 'crazy-busy or procrastinating' syndrome, I sometimes believe I am the only one suffering from it.

Btw, time-perceiving IS variable!

Just_Another_Grad_Student said...

Great.I too feel like "I'm not the only one rotting in the office in the weekend".
I am now feeling jealous of people who have lots of free time (eg. friends who are housewives etc.).