Thursday, November 25, 2010

Bludgeoned by Meetings (But Not Today)

On this Thanksgiving Day, I am just thankful that I don't have a meeting today. Otherwise, 'tis the season for time-sucking, soul-destroying meetings (and then more meetings) for me.

If it sounds like I am feeling sorry for myself, that is because I am. Or, more accurately, I was. Tonight I was reading some (= many) files at home on the couch, even though, without even trying, I can think of 127 things I would rather be doing, but then one cat came over to help, then another, and then another. Who knew that cats are so fascinated by committee work? Somehow, file-reading became less of a chore. Also, I wasn't able to get up off the couch, and that helped me stay on task.

I am also thankful that my in-laws are far far away, and that, although they managed to wreak their usual quota of holiday trauma, angst, discord, and despair from afar, that was hours ago, and the cats and I have decided to let go of our unconstructive thoughts about in-laws.

Of course there are many other things for which I am thankful, and if I did not have a cat on my elbow right now, I would list these things, but instead

8 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Happy Thanksgiving, FSP!

NJA said...

I second the value of cat-help (or in lolspeak, moar yay 4 teh kitteh halp).

A purring cat or two, particularly when they pin you to a sofa, is often the only thing that makes me get through 100+ student essays, or the world's most boring paper I need to review. And the fact that I can't even get up to pee only accelerates my reading :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving, thanks for all your gracious posts and discussions, and -- most of all today -- don't forget about Spaghetti Carbonara. http://www.rlrubens.com/Thanksgiving.html

Anonymous said...

You are a crazy cat lady. One cat is more than enough.

Female Science Professor said...

The meeting gods are cruel. Today I got email about the time-sucking committee I will be on after I deal with the current one. And no, this email was not from someone outside the US unaware that this is a major holiday; the email was from an American in the US -- someone who clearly wanted to let everyone know that HE was working on Thanksgiving.

DrKylara said...

Aw, that's so sweet of teh kittehs. Cats like LOVE paper....especially if they can sit on it, and double especially if they can sit it on it whilst you are trying to read it :) Attempted (or successful) laptop-sitting is a more modern adaptation. Glad your home committee was so helpful :)

Anonymous said...

You needn't be so negative about your in-laws. People are people and just like you deal with all kinds of administrators, students and colleagues, you need to deal with in-laws too. They should be easy considering since you don't see them on an everyday basis.

boinquo said...

have you heard of the itteh bitteh kitteh committeh? They love that work.