Saturday, January 31, 2015

Contest Entry : Rejection Letters, 7

This rejection letter arrived 5 years after the actual application/search process. That seems excessively long.

What do you think:

1. better late than never?

2. if an institution is going to send a 5-year-late rejection, couldn't it be a bit more appropriate?

3. I am just glad to have closure.

***************

January 28, 2015

We, at the University of Wisconsin, would like to thank you for taking the time to express your interest in the FACULTY-OPEN RANK position that you applied for on December 10, 2009. We have now completed the search process and unfortunately you were unsuccessful. Nevertheless, it is our hope that you will continue to consider other employment opportunities at our institution in the future.  Please continue to visit our job site  for the most current opportunities.

Thank you,
Search and Screen Committee Chair

6 comments:

hydropsyche said...

There are positions for which I had an on-campus interview that I have never received a rejection letter from. Four years later, I'm assuming any day now they might offer me the job.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just remembered that I applied for a job at UW back in the 90s. Still waiting for my rejection!

Anonymous said...

none of the above - I say don't bother at that point.

blatnoi said...

Just for the 5 year delay thing, this one deserves to win the contest. It has my vote. It made me laugh and think that if I really did get it, I would be sharing it on the blogs. For sure five years out, unless you're unemployed, you probably don't have many hard feelings in your new career. Definitely reminded me of my own interviews (not even applications), after which I never got an answer (almost two years now).

EliRabett said...

Winner

Anonymous said...

In defense of my alma mater, there was the very real issue of Scott Walker and Act 10 which likely put hiring on hold for a while. (But they probably could have informed you of that earlier.....)