Monday, February 05, 2007

Model Student

It happened yet again: I was the only student in my language class today to turn in the homework on time. It happens rather often. Fortunately, I am already sufficiently bizarre in being a professor in an undergraduate, 100-level class, so this model student behavior is perhaps more understandable and less odious than it might otherwise be. Perhaps.

I have a strict policy in my own classes about late homework (1/2 credit up to 24 hours late, no credit after that), so it is unusual for student homework to be late, but I am trying not to be a 'backseat driver' in the class in which I am the student.

Today my fellow students asked me about illnesses like mumps that they are all vaccinated against but that kids, including me, got back in the olden days. It is nice to feel like the old, experienced person every once in a while, before returning to my department to be the flaky blonde female in a sea of bewhiskered men.

1 comment:

Cherish said...

I've been reading your back posts. (I do have other things I should be doing, but I feel like I'm learning a lot, being a grad student who wants to become a professor...and is very leary given some of what I've seen.)

Anyway, I felt better reading this. I have a policy that any homework not turned in at the beginning of class gets 50%. I had a student the other day who was really ticked and said I was being too harsh and unfair. It's good to know that I'm not the only harsh and unfair person in the world. :-)