What are the implications of having a professor as President (again)? There are many possibilities:
- We professors can feel happy knowing that lots of people will vote for someone who is too professorial. Is professorial reserve now cool?
- Perhaps basic science research will be viewed as important. Perhaps there will be recognition by the new administration that there are significant reasons to study fruit flies and grizzly bear DNA.
- Perhaps the stereotype of professors talking but never actually accomplishing anything will fade away into oblivion.
- Perhaps some of our international colleagues won't be so reluctant to visit the US for conferences and other academic purposes.
- Perhaps our students will believe us when we tell them that they have to know how to speak in complete sentences to succeed in life and that they can't randomly make up words that sort of sound like they might mean something.
12 hours ago